8.03.2011

Mango Colada


I admit. I have been a long-time bubble "boba" tea addict. Especially in the summer time, all I can think about is cooling off with a smooth milk tea with chewy tapioca pearls. It's a carb bomb and practically a dietitian's nightmare. But recent news about carcinogenic plasticizers found in Taiwanese beverages kind of put a damper on my profound love for boba teas. Yes, I'm heartbroken, but maybe this is a blessing in disguise that will help wean me off these addicting drinks.

So it was with terrific timing that I stumbled upon the recipe for a (virgin) pina colada that cannot be more healthful and simple.

The original recipe for "pint-size pina colada" came from the Meal Makeover Moms blog. To add my own spin, I diced up the lone mango that has been sitting on my counter for a few days and blenderized it with the rest of the ingredients. Results? A heaven-sent gift to battle the summer heat!

Mango Colada
makes 3 servings 
2 cups frozen pineapple chunks (I'm adoring the frozen pineapple tidbits from Trader Joe's... they're supreme for snacking, too!)
1 1/2 cups 100% pineapple juice
1/3 cup light coconut milk
1 cup diced mango

Throw everything into a blender and turn it on (with the lid on).

Since my first try with this amazing smoothie, I've tried bumping up the protein punch with some Greek yogurt (about 1/2 cup for the recipe above). It's equally delicious and makes for an even thicker smoothie!

Instead of spending $4 for a boba tea, I can take my $4 to the grocery store and make myself MANY mango coladas! Cheers to better health and thicker wallet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

delicious

Kelly said...

Since I couldn't make it to yoga tonight...I'm catching up on your blog :) That looks so delicious Elizabeth!

Elizabeth @HEALingFoodie said...

@ Kelly: The drink was really refreshing... not dense and sugary at all! It's getting a bit too cool for this... recipes for warm and hot drinks should be coming soon!

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!