Ever since college, I've grown to love one-pot meals. Instead of ending up with a sink load of pots to wash after dinner, I can spend the time to do more productive things (i.e. hit the books, ha!). Even for those who are beyond their college years, one-pot meals are still great time-savers.
The 30:70 quinoa frittata (pictured above) is the latest addition to my one-pot wonder recipes. It combines loads of veggies with protein- and fiber-rich quinoa, all of which are blanketed by amazing, incredible eggs.
The ratio 30:70 refers to the number of egg yolks versus egg whites. Yolks are great sources of protein and vitamins, but they are also loaded with calories and cholesterol. Using less yolks makes the normally rich frittata less dense and heavy.
Eggs, 2 whole eggs & 5 egg whites
1/2 to 3/4 cup veggie stock
3/4 of large onion, diced
3 cups fresh broccoli florets (larger florets should be halved or quartered)
1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned will do)
1/2 medium carrot, shredded
1 cup mushroom, diced or sliced
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa (leftover works well)
Gruyere cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to season
- Cook quinoa with veggie stock per directions on package.
- Sauté veggies except for carrots in an oven-safe pan that has been sprayed with oil (like an oil mister).
- Beat eggs until fluffy, add veggie stock and lightly beat to incorporate.
- Add quinoa into pan when veggies have softened.
- Sprinkle shredded carrots over top.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over veggies and quinoa.
- Cook over medium-low flame. Uncovered for about 3 minutes and cook for 5 more minutes with lid on.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese and cilantro over the half-settled frittata.
- Place pan on a middle rack in the oven. Broil (low setting) until egg complete sets and cheese is golden brown.
Yields 2 pans of frittata
Extra tip: Cast-iron skillet has an amazing way of imparting great flavors on the food it cooks- a great tool to use for this dish (and it's oven-safe!).
Substitute your favorite veggies or use different combos to create new variations of this 30:70 quinoa frittata on this Meatless Monday!