Since giving up on baking from scratch, I've come to appreciate using box mixes and throw in a dash of creativity to make them my own. There have been Khalua No-Pudge brownies, apple sauce pumpkin bread, and the latest, boxed cornbread mix dolled up with some rosemary and strawberry jam.
photo from Auntie Karen
With the amount of time that food occupies my thoughts, I'm surprised how long it took me to think of making a literal and edible interpretation of Avy's nickname. So after spending some time in the think tank (aka my kitchen), Strawberry Rosemary Cornbread Cake was born! The strawberry and corn are to showcase in-season ingredients during July, Avy's birth month. And why cake? Because cake can elicit big smiles, just like Avy herself!
makes a 9" cake
1 box TJ's Cornbread Baking Mix
¾ C milk (cow's, soy, almond, hemp, etc)
½ C vegetable oil
2 tbsp rosemary, finely chopped
Dash of ground cinnamon & nutmeg
¼ C strawberry jam (TJ's organic reduced sugar used)
With the holidays coming up, bake and share Avy Cakes with your family and friends! They're delicious, foolproof, and affordable. They also make meaningful, one-of-a-kind gifts!
- Preheat oven to 400 F, with cast iron skillet inside.
- Prepare cornbread as directed on package.
- Fold in rosemary, cinnamon, & nutmeg.
- Removed skillet from oven and oil skillet thoroughly (very important!). My Prepara mister was perfect for this job.
- Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes on a middle rack, until top is golden brown.
- Remove skillet from oven and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Flip skillet over and cake should pop out after a little shake (if oiled well).
- Let cool on rack.
- With a sharp knife, slice cake into 2 halves, bottom & top.
- Spread preserves evenly over bottom half. Put top back on.
- Slice, serve, & enjoy!
Curious about what dragonboating is?? Check out this awesome video of teamLARD!